Unkown Plesaures (It Books)
Unknown Pleasures is the definitive story of Joy Division told by the band's legendary bassist, PETER HOOK. The author will be making his L.A. book tour appearance here at Skylight Books, and will be discussing his book with renowned music writer SIMON REYNOLDS (Rip It Up and Start Again, Retromania). The discussion will be followed by a signing.
More info on the book below!
PETER HOOK was born in 1956 in Salford. He was a founding member of Joy Division and New Order and nowadays DJ’s internationally as well as touring Joy Division’s music with his new band The Light.
Photo of Peter Hook by Julien Lachaussee
SIMON REYNOLDS Is the author of seven books about music and pop culture, including Retromania: Pop Culture’s Addiction to Its Own Past (2011), Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-84 (2005) and Energy Flash: A Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture (1998; set for updated/expanded reissue May 2013). He is a freelance contributor to magazines including New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Bookforum, The Wire, The Guardian, and Slate, and also generates content via Blissblog and several other blogs. Born in London, Reynolds spent most of the 1990s and 2000s in New York, and now lives in South Pasadena with his wife Joy Press and two children.
We're expecting a big crowd for this event! We want to give everyone the opportunity to meet this music legend, and for fans to have the chance to get books and memorabilia signed, but there will be so many people here that we're going to strictly enforce a few limits to keep things moving smoothly:
- If you would like to watch the talk, it will be free and open to the public, first come, first served.
- If you would like to get anything signed, you must buy a copy of Unkown Pleasures here at Skylight Books.
- When you buy your book here (in person, over the phone, or online) you will receive a signing line ticket with a number on it. This number is your guaranteed place in line. No need to rush to the front when the signing begins--you will have a spot reserved for you.
- You may bring up to three items in addition to books purchased here to get signed. Concert tickets, records, etc. are OK, but please be very conscious of the fact that we need to keep the line moving, and have everything out and ready when you get to the front of the line.
- Books purchased here do not count toward this three-item limit, but collectors/resellers, please be aware that we may have to put a limit on the number of books you can get signed depending on the time and the length of the line.
- Members in Skylight's Friends with Benefits Club will have tickets to a priority signing line, which will go first. Join now, or be sure to mention your membership when you buy!
Unknown Pleasures will go on sale on Tuesday, January 29, but you may pre-order books in person, over the phone at (323) 660-1175, or on our website. If you want to order a book in the last 24 hours before the event, plese order in person or over the phone. A few more notes:
- If you prepay for a book and are planning on attending the event, mention that you would like a singing line ticket (on our website, use the "Order Comments" field) and we will save you a signing line ticket
- Members in Skylight's Friends with Benefits Club get 20% off the book and a ticket to the priority signing line, so think about joining now, and if you're already a member, be sure to mention that when you purchase.
- If you cannot attend the event but would still like to get a book signed, let us know when you preorder your book, and we'll get your copy signed for you. (On our website, use the "Signed Copy" button in your cart, and fill out the info on who you would like your book signed to.)
If you have a question that's not answered here, please don't hesitate to call us! We're at (323) 660-1175.